Friday 2 December 2011



Jihad Khalil

 SMART BOARD

ICT (Information and communication technology/ies) is something related to any kind of communication technology in which we humans can communicate, some of the common known ICT are any communication devices and applications such as Satellite, Radio, TVs, cellular phones, computers, networks, hardware and softwares.4

Accordingly, there are some common ICT resources, in which we always use whenever, talk about ICT. These kinds of recourses include Internet, Emails and word-process. But if I describe an ICT resource which is available to me or my students, I can say it is Smart board

 Smart board or a computer screen?

However, as you may see the name itself, it has been designed to work with computer and projector, without computer and projector it doesn’t work.  Together with the projector and computer, Smart board enables us to gently and smoothly write something, click on it, drag an object on in it, move an object on it, close, minimize, maximize and even open a software program, instead of sitting with the computer and using mouse all the time which is very hard work.

Technical accessories

A Smart Board installation contains a pen tray on the front of the interactive whiteboard that holds two to four plastic pen tools and an eraser. The pen tools have neither electronic components nor ink - the technology is in the pen tray, but how it works?

When a pen tool is removed from its slot in the tray, an optical sensor stills be aware that the pen I question is missing (on use) as a result Smart Board software reaction processes the next contact with the interactive whiteboard surface as a pen action from the pen tool that resides in the corresponding slot.

Whenever a pen tool is removed from its slot, you can be able to write in the selected color with that pen tool you have already chosen You can even as a result use your finger or any other object to write with as the sensors understood this action as an writing action as long as the pen is missing from its slot.  Similarly, when the eraser is removed from its position in the pen tray, the software processes the next contact with the screen as an erasing action as long as the eraser is missing from the slot.

When pens will in any reason miss their original locations from the slot, than the color in use will be only the missing one on the slot and not the one you have in your hand.

Smart board is a useful digital pedagogic instrument

Smart board has become a necessity and a useful device when it comes to modern education and learning processes.

This new IT-innovation has made things better and improved the planning of teaching. All about information and mediation of science, literature and teaching in all disciplines a school may have in its yearly or semester learning programmes.


We all know that Smart board can be expensive device as well as also new technology which need special kind of treatment. I would like to justify that for me I only focus and concentrate how use full is Smart board both teachers and students.

Smart Board has come to stay, this is an irreversible technical and digital way of teaching in all levels, most practice, fast, easy, modern, above all the most audio-visual innovation ever made. As per the technology designed to full fill the needs of the teachers, Smart board is very friendly device which was designed to as touch screen, when teachers want to use it they can just point their finger by pointing on Smart board rather than by clicking and using mouse which is sometimes difficulty. Teachers use smart board when they want to show a move, clips and games to their students in a very smart and simple manner than projector.

Students also find very useful by using Smart board, when they are going to present a presentation or group assignment, they use just like teachers, and they can explain something on it by clarifying on the Smart board. Students enjoy this new technology as they are themselves IT-generation in many cases they master the new technique better than their own teachers!

Smart board, an affair that pays off

Smart board is an effective, profitable, practice and modern device for all actors: students, schools and institutions, tax payers etc... It can minimize the cost and maximise the profit, because whenever we use smart board we don’t need to purchase white boards, flipcharts and pens, which may cost too much. Smart board minimizes costs because we use to purchase white board and other completing belonging things like flipcharts, white boards every year.

New digital technology

Smart board is a necessity for all of us, this technical innovation has digitalised all our disciplines in schools and enhanced the teachers ´roll and made the mediation of many school disciplines easily.

You can talk about maths, biology, geography, maps, geometry, physics, chemistry, or whatever, like documentaries, entertainment, live sending music, companies´ and political meeting, news of different horns of the world or simply reading newspapers and listening to music or film sequences of different origins.

Smart Board is not only smart, but magic and a new world for schoolteachers and students alike!









5 comments:

  1. Hi! I think you have written an interesting blog post about Smartboards. I find myself more curious about this "new" technology. Since my school does not have Smartboards yet I have only read about them and of course seen what we can do with them on the internet and in other media. I can by reading your blog post imaging the potentials that opens by using Smartboards in a class. A negative aspect that I can think of is that by using only the new technology could keep the pupils from speaking English. So a mix of new technology with both speaking and listening makes a good combination. I also like that you points many areas where Smartboards can be used. It is like you said like magic and a new world for both teachers and pupils. Now it is our responsibility as teachers to use this in the best way possible. I would like to thank you for make me even more curious on Smartbords.
    //Ulrika Reinholdsson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I am not sure you convinced me about the magic of smartboards. We have one at our school, and I think it is quite hard to use in a good way. There are a lot of functions, I am told, but it is not easy to learn how to use them. The pen and eraser works as you describe, but there are so many other functions I can not get a grip of. The program “Smart notebook” itself is not so smart as I first thought. It gives me a problem with preparing my lessons. I would like to use texts from books or texts written by the pupils, but it is hard to get these documents into the program. I have been told they need to be converted to powerpoint or JPEG if the program is going to be able to read the files. I am not sure this is correct information, but anyhow there is a lot of questions needed answering to if I should be able to use the possibilities of the smartboard I am told about.

    Our smartboard at the school where I work is mostly used as a screen for showing movies, and maybe for playing computergames without using the mouse. I agree with you it is easier for the children to draw and move objects or play games on the screen rather than using the mouse, but it seems to be a very expensive device with small benefits. Maybe the problem is the school invests in this expensive ICT and forgets to invest money in time for the teachers to learn how to use it? I would love to know all the fancy functions and how to improve the teaching and learning, but it seems to be quite distant because of the complexity of the system.
    //Malin Marklund

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this interesting and inspiring article. I'm working on a small village school with a total of 68 students from grade F-5. We have just received money to invest in two smart boards, before we had a wagon with projector and laptop as we rolled around between the four classrooms. When I read your article I feel that it is right for us to invest in this, however, I have some reflections on what you write about minimizing the cost. I think you can buy lots of pen for the cost of a smart board and I also think that you need to save your old whiteboard even if you invest in a smart board, or? But I really think that this is a tool that will inspire my pupils and get them motivated.
    I think it is necessary with small steps to introduce new technology in school. Unfortunately I have colleagues that you can call “technophobe”. I just taught them to use their computers to do the weekly newsletter and send it by email to the parents.
    In the new curriculum (Lgr 11) says that the school will be responsible for ensuring that students can make use of modern technology as a tool for knowledge seekers, communication, creation and learning, when they leave primary school.
    So with these thoughts it feels ok that we shall invest in two smart boards on our school.
    //Lotta Lundberg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again!
    I very much would appreciate to get som tips about how to use the IWB. What do you do? How do you use it? Can you give me some concrete examles of what to do? I really would like to know how to incorporate this technology in my teaching!!!
    At my school there is no one really knowing what to do and how to use it, so we really need some advise!
    I hope you can take a little time to share some of your experiences!

    Thanks!

    //Malin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose to read your blog about Smart Boards as I have never used one myself but I have always been very curious about this technology. Smart Boards seem to be the latest trend in the schools where I live. My personal experience with a Smart Board was during my work experience where the only time I saw anyone use it was during after-school club, and then just for watching music on YouTube. I found it was very interesting to read your blog post and you have “sold” the idea of Smart Boards very well indeed. I do feel that I now understand what it is all about but I have to admit that I still have a few questions remaining.

    First of all I do think that the actual price for this equipment should have been stated in the blog post as it would have been good for the reader to actually know how much Smart Boards cost so that they can compare this with other similar technologies and brands. My second question is what is the real difference in functionality between this technology and a projector with a computer? As far as I understand, there are not many things that you can do with a Smart Board that you can´t do with just a projector and a computer.

    Thirdly, are you required to undertake a lot of training to be able to use a Smart Board efficiently? I understand that the companies supplying Smart Boards offer courses, but are they the only ones available and how much do they cost?

    My last question is whether Smart Boards are compatible with both PC and Apple operating systems and do you have to buy additional software to utilies the functionality of a Smart Board?

    You write in your blog post that the Smart Board is a profitable device but do not explain why. I do not agree with your claims that by purchasing a Smart board you can save on white boards, flipcharts and pens. In my opinion these tools are very important tools in education and not something that we should get rid of.

    After doing some research myself I do think, just like you, that this technology can be, in combination with other tools, a very good tool in the classroom. Reseach has also shown that children get more motivated by using new technology in the classroom. However, recent research has also found that technology in education does not increase children´s achievements if the technology based education is not backed up by a well thought through pedagogic. //Maria Jeffs

    ReplyDelete