Saturday 3 November 2012

Screenr.com


During the autumn holiday I have discovered a website called Screenr (www.screenr.com). It is a web-based screen recorder that does not cost you anything and you do not need to download any software. Therefore you do not need to ask anyone for permission to purchase or downloading it. I think that is great!

At first sight it seems to be a quite simple resource to use though I had some another experience at first…

On the home page you can read that it is just to click on the record button, capture your screen & voice. When you are done you just share your screencast through a link. You can also watch a 1-minute tour movie were they tell you and show you how easy it is. And it is very EASY if everything works out like it should!
One important thing that they do forget to tell you in the beginning is that you must be logged in to be able to publish or download your screencast. When you sign in for the first time do it right at the beginning because you can not change your username afterwards! If you want to have another username you will have to make a new account with another email address. I had that experience when I realized that I wanted to change my username. They say (in FAQ) that you can delete your account but I have not found how to do it yet!

Yesterday when I made my first screencast test I could not find it afterwards even though I was logged in. All I could see was that I had made a screencast and posted it… This morning I logged in again but it looked the same. Maybe I did something wrong because a couple of hours later it just popped up when I tried to make a new screencast test. I deleted it because I did not want it and started to do the new one. Now it worked like a clock and after a few recording attempts I published it on my class blog (http://katarinasdiamanter.blogspot.se/search/label/Engelska). I must say that I am quite satisfied with it!


As a teacher I can see many opportunities how to use screenr.com. For example I can record an assignment that I want my pupils to make (like I just did), I can record a presentation to show in class or I can record a lesson review. I think it can make it easier for my pupils to understand me. Afterwards I can put it on the class blog or on the schools website so that the pupils and their parents can watch it at home. I think I can use screenr.com in all school subjects!

Most of my pupils have Swedish as their second language and many parents often wonder how we do things at school. They think that they can not help their children at home. Here I think the screencasts will help to explain for example how we count when we have math, how some English words are pronounced or what to think about when you are supposed to write a narrative report etc.

For my pupils there are also a variety of opportunities with screenr.com and I think they can use it in every school subject. For example I can let them do animated movies, presentations about their family, guided tours about their home town or home countries etc. In English I am going to use it together with Google map and Google earth, letting my pupils make guided tours about Hastings (next chapter in our English book).

I only have one or two problems left and one is that it does not work on my own laptop computer at home. It says that I do not have Java installed but I have! In FAQ they talk about some problems with Google Chrome, which I use. Then I did try it in Internet Explorer as well and it did not work there either, though it works perfectly on my desktop computer! On Monday I will have to ask the computer guy at work about that. I will also have to try it on the computers at school to see how it works…. Exciting or…… ;-)

I also have to start download and install Google earth on the school computers... Lucky me, I have admin permission! :-D

//Katarina Forsell

No comments:

Post a Comment