Sunday 9 December 2012

Photostory 3

Photostory 3 as an ICT-resource


I would like to share my thoughts about an ICT-resource called Photostory 3. During my two and a half years of being a teacher, I have used this program on a regular basis and my believe is that it is a fun and educational resource that can be used for many purposes. Photostory 3 is a computer programme which helps you to organize photos, pictures and even scanned drawings into an animated film. It is supported by operation systems such as Windows Xp, Windows Vista and Windows 7 and is an easy and fun way to create stories and school projects in English as well as in other subjects. You can download it for free at http://microsoft-photo-story-3.swedish.toggle.com/.

When using Photostory 3, you approach several goals from the syllabuses regarding, most of all, the ability to use digital tools which is central for the new curriculum LGR-11. I will now try to give you a short explanation of how to use the program. First of all, you import pictures you have saved on your computer. On the next step you have the opportunity to write a text to your picture. When writing in English, you get the chance to develop your vocabulary and grammar structures. However, it’s the next step I find particularly exciting since you now get the opportunity to record yourself. Many students find it hard to talk in front of other people, a fright that according to my opinion is quite natural since the uncertainty becomes even more significant when talking a second language. I definitely believe that the part with “live” presentations is important too, but listening to yourself on a recording sometimes is a good compliment. It also gives the class the opportunity to develop abilities regarding pronunciation and to discuss variations in the English language such as American and British dialects. I’m currently doing own versions of English fairytales with my fifth graders, and we have been using our animations for peer assessments as well as self assessments combined with feedback from me and my colleague – a work that I found developing in so many areas.

Anyhow, on the next step when using Photostory 3, you edit the movements and transitions between the different images. I often discover that this is the part my students appreciate the most since the transitions can take exciting forms such as for example stars or spins! The next step is to choose appropriate music to the film. You can choose from your music library, create your own music using the program or download music or sounds from websites such as www.multimedia.skolverket.se . This part is by the way a great opportunity to discuss copyrighted material and critical aspects of different sources. You then save your film in a Windows Media Video format and when done, your film is set to be played on your computer, send by an e-mail or burned into a CD.

I strongly recommend using Photostory 3 as an ICT resource. I have been using it with six year olds as well as 12 year olds and it’s a remarkable easy programme to use, with the right guidance from you as a teacher! Please check out an example of a story I made with some help from two of my wonderful students! The music is downloaded from www.multimedia.skolverket.se.




3 comments:

  1. Hi
    When I read about you using the tool of photo story I was stuck by what you wrote. Quote: "Many students find it hard to talk in front of other people, a fright that according to my opinion is quite natural since the uncertainty becomes even more significant when talking a second language." I have allso experienced this even thought working with, childrens native language while dramatizing, reading and talking loud. Photostory is excellent tool for these children. I often works with stories, old ones or ones that is made up by pupils themselves in the moment. And I also have the experience that this gives children with difficulties with "stage fear" a chance to excelling. This is, ofcause, the same in the English subject. Then they can take the time that is needed to make their pronunciation more perfect than in the actual speaking moment. And with the music, pictures and a dramatic voice it could be playd for others in the same school just for the pleasure of sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still a teacher student and have not been working in school yet. But my experience from my time in school and during my teaching practices is that there is a few pupils in every class who have trouble with oral presentations. I believe you when you say this stage fright isn't easier to handle when talking a different language than the native. Therefore, I believe this is a good way for those children to practice and present their spoken English, and leave them to challenge their stage fright in their native or school language instead (in this case Swedish). Not said it's only useful with those pupils, quite the opposite, it's great to use with everybody!

    I have never used this programme with school-children, but I have used it myself at the university and I think it's good fun to work with. And easy to use since everything is being done step-by-step in a certain order. As you said, it gives an opportunity to discuss copyright, both with music and pictures. It does also give the pupils an oppotunity to draw their own pictures, as in the three little pigs, or take photos with themselves as actors.

    All in all, I think you have written a good explanation of Photostory3 and given good examples of how it can be useful in the classroom.

    Best regards,
    Therese

    ReplyDelete