Sunday 24 November 2013

Liber.se


Michaela Bodin - Liber.se
 
I have chosen to write about a website that I know a lot of my English students use in their education. The site is called liber.se and it’s a site for many different jobs due to education and learning. The site is mainly for buying new books for your subject but as a student you can use it to learn words you have for homework.

A lot of my students used glosboken.se which I think it’s a very good website to learn your words. The problem for some of my students was that they didn’t have the energy to type new words into glosboken.se every week and therefore they started to use liber.se.

When you enter the site you click on a pile of books where is says F-9 and after that you choose which grade you are in. For example my students choose 4-6 because they are in the sixth grade and then they choose the book they have in school. If you have Good stuff A as your textbook you click on Good stuff A.
After you chosen your textbook and clicked on it you click on “glosmaskinen” and you will see all the chapters found in Good stuff A textbook. You will after that be able to choose the chapter you are working with and you can see all the words connected to that chapter. You can choose to practice on all the words to the chosen chapter or you can click and just practice on some of them.
You will see how many words you have answered and how many rights and wrongs you
 receive.


The benefits I see with liber.se are that you can start right away with your glossaries and that you have them written already. You can practice as many times as you like and you can share the glossaries with others. “Glosmaskinen” works in other languages too for example Spanish. You have access all the time and don't need an account.

The disadvantage is that you can’t listen to the pronunciation of the word and you have to use some of the textbooks shown on the site.
Although there are a lot of different kind of educational materials on liber.se and I think many of you will find the books you use at your school.
As a student you will need access to a computer with internet in school or at home.


 
I have seen a better result with my English students in fifth and sixth grade when they have words for homework. They challenge themselves to receive as many marks as possible. I think its good to show students ways of learning new words and liber is one of them.
 I have also used it in class by connect my computer to our projector we have in our classroom. 
We have looked at the words and pronounced them together. We also have had competitions dividing the class in two. Each group got a chapter we worked with and helped each other to get as many marks as possible.
I can recommend liber.se!
 
Best regards/
Michaela 
 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting and good learning source. I have used glosboken.se myself and the kids quickly lost interest in it. Maybe I should give this page a shot.

    To not be able to hear the pronounciation of the word is a big minus though but you can always work on that in the classroom. Do your studets use this site at home or in school as well? What do the parents think about this form of "glosbok"?

    I also wonder if you see a connection between the spelling on the computer and the one they do by hand, is there an improvement in the spelling as well? I ask because I have met kids who spell perfectly on the computer but not by hand.

    It is interesting to see that your students results gets better by using this. And it is a good way of motivating the kids as well. When they slightly compete with each other they get even more motivated or even if they just compete against themselves.

    I will defiently try to use this resource in my work. Thanks for the great suggestion.

    Best regards
    Emma Hedin

    ReplyDelete