Sunday 11 January 2015


Magic, textbook with exercises and website.

My name is Karin Kristina Pettersson and I'm working in class 2.

I like to talk a lot with my pupils and I have asked the teacher in class 4 what she thinks about the English education for the younger pupils. She told me that talking is very important and also to get a good pronounciation.  Three is difficult to say, for example.

In my classroom we don't have a smart board. We have a computer and a projector (kanon) that we use many times. For English lessons we use Magic.


                     by Cecilia Augutis (Studentlitteratur)


The class and I can see the pages as they are on the screen. It's big and colourful. Each chapter starts with a short movie and we see it together. Then there is a song. The children use to sing a long and if we want to we can click and see the lyrics. The children have their books as we study the screen. It's very inter active, They write in their books and I write on the computer. They can see what I write. Most of the exercises are to "circle" or "draw a line".

There are extra exercises on the website/the book/the computer for the children and they get their own code so that they can log in at home and do this together with their parents.

I like this material a lot.
Sometimes, unfortunately, I feel that the pupils lose their focus when they are watching the screen.


1 comment:

  1. I consider proposals of textbooks and other study material for English teaching very interesting! This textbook seems to be complemented by an interactive material from the website, which therefore can be used on a Smart Board, right?

    Study material including different kind of tasks (e.g. songs, movies, exercises), is very useful in the way that all senses are used and thus capture all students, regardless of learning style.

    Using a textbook for practice and repetition and can also be useful for parents who are not very familiar with technology, but still want to follow their child’s education.

    I work in first grade and both I and my colleague, a class teacher in grade two, have no study material in English except what we have created by ourselves. Creating study material is very time consuming and it would be helpful with a tool kit to use to save time for other administrative tasks. Could this study material also be appropriate for children in first grade?

    I like that you have written some about the good as well as considerable issues regarding this device, but it might though be helpful with a little more detailed information about the accessibility, suitability and the exercises, such as an explanation of the “circle” and “draw a line”. I couldn’t really figure out if they are drawing exercises or, for instance, connecting word with explanation? Additional information might be if you have to pay for a membership on the website or if it’s free.

    ReplyDelete