Sunday 22 November 2015

Bring your classroom to life

Bring your classroom to life

I want to recommend a program I am using in my classroom with my kindergarten students.I have used the program for several years and my students love it and they can’t wait until it is their turn at the computer. You can use this program as a group activity and as a single activity. I have three computers in my classroom and I normally have six students working in pairs, to get the most out of the activity. You can use this program as homework for your students to play before each lesson to learn all the words. There are different themes and levels for all ages and interests.

Fact
The name of the program is Genki English and the founder’s name is Richard Graham. I am a big fan of his as he puts a lot of importance to students’ interests through games.
The program I use in class teaches students with energy, passion and gives them confidence to use what they have learned. As the key to learn a new language is to have fun as you are learning, it is very important to me that students like the activity I am proposing.

How to use it
Learn and play: It is important that the students have a basic grip on the target English before playing the games.
Songs instead of drilling: The game includes songs with actions instead of drilling words. 
Set the level: Make sure you teach the students at their level to avoid too difficult or to easy witch won’t be very effective.
Motivation: As students learn through playing it gives them extra motivation as they win the game if they learn new language.

It’s the kids: as the students play together in groups it becomes less teacher orientated.

Most of the games are for free, all you need is a computer with internet access.
click on the link to get to the games:
http://www.genkienglish.net/onlinegames.htm
Easy level: What time is it 
                                          



Higher level: Have you  ever…?







As a teacher I recommend you to start by reading the curriculum page first, to get at hint of what you can teach by using this program. There are also many lesson plans you can get access to for free.



Enjoy !

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sabina!
    I think you have made a good description of a good website. I can add to your blogpost that one can submit to an email from Richard Graham with news, lesson ideas and some new tricks to add to ones lessons.

    ReplyDelete