Sunday 13 January 2013

learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org

I think this was a bit difficult because I do not teach English. I have earlier been teaching mathematical and NO in year 6-9. I did not use the computers and their possibilities very often, because it was too few and they did not always work as they should. I am now trying to find something that could fit pupils in year F-5 because my aim is to teach pupils in these years.
I have been surfing around a lot trying to find something. The website I have chosen is learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org. Here is a lot to look in to and try out. I think it could suit pupils of different ages because the level of difficulties varies.
The different subjects to choose between are “kids games”, listen & watch”, “read & write”, “make”, “speak & apell”, “grammar” and “little kids”. Under each subject there are more alternatives to choose between.
I have listened to many songs with text and different stories and played some games. I have not had the time to try it all because it is so much. I think one can use this site while working with different themes or as a complement to the textbook or just as a variation.
One thing that I think is good I that there is text to the songs and the stories which gives opportunities both to listen and to read, if the pupils have learned to read.
If you become a member on this website you have access to even more things, for example activities to the songs and stories.
/Pia

1 comment:

  1. I like this website very much. I have used it in class a couple of times and there are many things to benefit from using it. When we use it in class we always go through the exercises via a projector so that everybody knows what to do, and what to expect when starting.

    Using Tongue twister (under listen & watch) I found very amusing, so did my pupils. They had a real laugh when I tried to do some of them in a rapid pace. Here you can both read, listen and record your efforts of becoming as fast as possible. Tongue twisters are excellent when practicing pronunciation.

    I think that, even if not the pupils can read yet, it is very good that they can see the words they are singing. It will make them aware of letters and how words are formed in English.

    There are a connected webpage that you can use with older pupils called learnenglish.teens, however i have not looked in to that one that much, so I do not know about the quality on it, but if it is half as good as this one, I would definitely recomend it to teacher working with teenagers.

    However, what ever webpage or game you use whilst teaching, I would make sure you, as a teacher, have tried it out yourself in advance. This will make you aware of different difficulties that may occur for your pupils.

    As I mentioned in the beginning, I really like working with this webpage and it can, as you say, work as a variation or even reward for the pupils when they done well!

    Kind regards, Christoffer

    ReplyDelete